Sunday, June 18, 2006

Hen Hallow Falls

Oh my word!  My legs are absolutely killing me!  I have made an important discovery this weekend.  I am no longer a hiker.  Definitely a walker.   In my teenage years I backpacked, even on a 3 day trip.  When I was 6 months pregnant I hiked to Alum Cave, which is a pretty strenuous hike-probably 5-6 miles round trip.  I'm now old and out of shape.  I'm not a hiker.

We decided to go hiking yesterday, and James wanted to try out a new trail--Hen Hallow Falls (although I can guarantee you that the East Tenn. natives call it Hen Holler!)  The hiking book said it was a 2.2 mile easy, pretty level hike.  HA!  The first couple of hundred yards were level, then it turned up and never stopped.  Well, it did.  About 1/10 of a mile from the falls it turned down.  I really thought I might just die!  : )  Several times! 

I have been quite entertaining to my family today.  LOL.  If I sit for more than 10 min. my calves tighten up severely.  I am most humorous trying to get down the stairs!  I'd compare what I look like to something, but I'm not really sure what I look like-pathetic & comical, that's for sure. 

For those in better shape than me, it is really a great trail.  It's thick forest, some awesome rock bluffs, and the falls, which are really a huge cascade, are pretty.  Marissa discovered catching mudpuppies.  She had a blast.  Marissa and Daniella both had fun climbing all over the boulders and wading in the small pools. 

This trail is about an hour from our house, on a much less frequented side of the national park, and I had never even heard of it until yesterday.  Can you believe, we met somebody we know on the trail?!  How cool. 

Here are some pictures of our adventure.  Some of them are kind of washed out actually because it was quite dark up in all of the trees.
 
Isn't this cool bark?  Does anyone know why it's so deeply  grooved?  Is it just  the kind of tree it is?
  
   
This is the falls, although it isn't nearly as impressive in the photo.  Also, it's very, very tall, which is hard to see here.

Wading in the pool.
 

 

 
This is the bottom of a pool in the river above.  The water is SO clear.

Hope everyone has a sunshiney blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment