Monday, August 27, 2007

College Days

It's been a different week around here, for sure.  Ashley and Briana both started college.  Ashley started her courses last week with Liberty University's distance learning.  She had taken a couple of classes before at the community college, but, boy, this has been an adjustment.  She's taking a math class, which is a regular 16 week course.  But the speech class she is taking is an 8 week course--double time.  She had to read 4 chapters last week, plus prepare an outline and research for her first speech, plus math.  She's thankful she only signed up for 2 this term.  She lived with that speech book in her hands.  She'll take another 8 week course after the speech is over.  And, yes, apparently you can take speech online.  She has to video tape her speech and scan the audience to show that she has at least 5 adults listening.   I tell you what's sad.  James and I have spent the week trying to (basically undo all we've taught her) teach her to stop reading to try to really learn, but to just read over it to get a basic understanding and overview of the material.   That's the only way to cover that much material in a week.  She has taken 2 quizzes and a test all in the first week.  Hopefully this next week won't be so intense--she only has to read 2 chapters, plus work on her speech. 
Briana just started today at the community college.  She ended up only taking 2 courses this semester, too.  This wasn't the original plan, but they don't offer but about 5 courses that she needs to transferShe started today with U.S. History I.  She was pretty nervous going in today, but came home much more relaxed.  I am spending a lot of time praying over her teachers and what she hears and is exposed to.  Okay, don't let the following description offend anyone.  She says her teacher is a "punk rock, country hick, self-described geek."  Should be an interesting semester.  He doesn't care if they come to class and doesn't care if they eat or drink in class as long as they don't make a mess.  He told them he suggested they read the book, but if they weren't going to read it not to bother to buy it.  I certainly would agree with that.  The ultimate college ripoff.  That history book was $108 !!!  She is also taking Sociology, but thankfully she is taking that online.  She has to go to the main campus, 45 min. away tomorrow night for the orientation, then 3 more times during the semester.
Marissa and I are enjoying doing the In The Hands of a Child Horse Project Pack. 

I have seen a couple of others not really impressed with this, but this is our first lapbook, and she loves horses, so we are happy with it.  We are adding a few little things to it as we have an idea.  Nancy had some suggestions that I'm going to read over to add some to it, too.   We have also been using Encyclopdia of the Horse, mostly looking at pictures of the different breeds.
Daniella saw an idea on Dora the Explorer online to start your own "Animal Scientist Notebook".  She came to me very excited to start one, so I got her a binder and page protectors, and she's added a few things to it.  I'll print out a horse coloring page for her to color, and I'll let her copy onto it what horses eat or something.  They are on totally different levels, and both need me with them at this point to work, so I am having a hard time spending as much time with Daniella as I would like.  A lot of times she sits at the table or nearby when I'm working with Marissa and colors or draws or looks at books.  Some days she wants to do tons of copy work, so she sits next to us and writes while we work.  That child LOVES copy work!   I read the same Bible story to them both.  I work with her in Before the Code most days, and we do a few minutes of math.  She has almost finished memorizing  her doubles, and she's learning the coins and their value.  I'm not concerned about doing much book work with her, but it just seems sometimes like she isn't getting much one-on-one time with me.  If I stop and think about it, though, I know she's getting time, it's just spread out and not necessarily sitting at the table working, so it seems less.  Overall, the days have been going really well, though.
Back to college---the worst part of it.......we can't go on vacation anytime we want to now!!  We are trying to plan a trip, and we're having to squeeze it in during Briana's 2 day fall break.  She'll be off from Friday at 1:30 until Wed.  Homeschooling has spoiled us to the good life! 
Edit:  It seems I may have come across as complaining in this post.  I was not at all.  Just jabbering about life, and how crazy this first week of college was for Ashley.  I am VERY thankful I am still able to have my older girls at home with me another year.  I don't take a minute of it for granted.  My life is very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment