Thursday, August 16, 2007

An Unbirthday, A Waterpark, Math (with question), Books Are Coming, and Random Things

Our dinner last Friday with our friends went great (even my cooking went pretty well!) .  I did have an injury that ended up keeping me off of my feet all day Sat.  Nothing too serious.  It was just painful to move.  So, I had a nice relaxing day Saturday.  Actually Saturday was my Unbirthday!  (Alice in Wonderland).  James and Ashley were in Guatemala on my actual birthday---WAY back in June.  : )  It has been one thing after another all summer, and my children have been so scattered about this summer, that everything just settled down enough, and they wanted to celebrate.  James, Marissa, and Daniella made one of those yummy four layer desserts with chocolate, cream cheese, and cool whip.  Since I was confined to the couch, we all just kind of hung out together.  They brought this paddle ball game thing we have into the living room---it's kind of like tether ball, but it's a tennis ball size ball, and you use paddles to hit the ball, trying to wind it around the pole your direction.  I had a lot of fun watching them play that, especially the "big girls" and James.  The four adults played Apples to Apples, and Briana and I sorted through a huge pile of stamps that we have been collecting for a few years.  We sorted them into categories.  Now we just have to start mounting them.  James and Ashley handled supper.   I had chosen grilled hamburgers and baked beans. 
Yesterday we spent the day at Dolly's Splash Country.  This week local residents get in free.  You get in free, but you don't come out free!  By the time you buy lunch for 6 people at a place like that.  Geeessh.  I know some of my more frugal friends would have gone back out to their car and eaten lunch that they brought.  I am actually pretty frugal, and I contemplated that, but in the end, I was too tired/lazy to haul us all back through the park, across the parking lot, and sit in a sweltering car to eat.  The high yesterday was supposed to be 99.  I don't know what it actually was.  At 6:30 tonight when I went into town, it was 102.  Anyway, we paid for lunch, didn't feel guilty, and had a great day.  Daniella doesn't like the slides, so James and I take turns with her while the other one goes to ride slides with the other girls.  Daniella LOVES the wave pool and the lazy river.  She did actually have fun on one of the short kid slides this year. 
Edit: In answer to Maria's question....YES, I definitely ride the slides.  What pure fun (if you survive climbing all the steps to get there).  I don't do all of them, but I love the tube slide (that sits just above the lazy river), and the raft slide where 4 or 5 sit in a raft together and go down.  It's especially fun if you're the one who gets to go backwards! 
Daniella had a ball swimming around in the wave pool.  She is so funny to watch, mostly because she's so small.  She's six, but she's very small for her age (she wears 3 and 4T's), and she also is the earliest of my 4 to learn to swim.  She is definitely part fish.  She and Marissa both have made huge strides in their swimming this year, and we didn't even take lessons this year.  Between being at my mom's and dad's and that little 8' pool we got them, they have both overcome their fear of going under.  They stay under now, and love to dive for pennies.  In the big pool, I had also helped Marissa learn to do the crawl stroke---big step for her!  She went from spastic slapping the water at the first of the week to beautiful smooth strokes the last day.  The child can float like a boat, too.  She doesn't have to hold her breath or struggle to keep her legs from sinking.  She just lays there on her back effortlessly.  She was being funny, holding her hand up in front of her face, pretending to do her nails while she just floated.  She cracks me up. 
I am in the process of making up  my own math curriculum.  Hmmm.  I've pretty much got everything together; I just haven't quite figured out how I want to put it together.  I have looked at every math book I can find, and I just can't find one that looks or sounds like it will meet Marissa's needs.  It's either too busy, with too much jumping around, or too much overkill--explaining things until you think your eyes will roll back in your head, or whatever.  None of them seem to fit.  We were having the most problem with them going too fast in some areas.  We needed to slow down in some things, and we were skipping around pages in the book, and I stayed lost half the time.  So I'm using the book as my guide, using some Practice Makes Perfect books, which are entire books on one subject--one book on fractions, one book on place value, etc., and some internet sites, and pulling it all together.  I have the problems, I just have to figure out what I want each day to look like.  Anybody else have this kind of problem, and what did you do? 
I have a Love To Learn order coming.  Is there anything more fun that getting a package in the mail---even if it is from myself?!  A few of the things coming are:
Betsy Ross, In Their Own Words
DK Civil War Eyewitness Book
John Adams Speaks For Freedom
d'Aulaire book: Buffalo Bill
Anagrams Game
Make Your Own Christmas Cards with Stickers
Sea Monkeys (Ocean Zoo)
Baroque 25 Favorites
Bingo: Multiplication Facts

There are only 2 other things besides these, and they are Christmas gifts, so I'd better not list them. 
I was tagged by Juliet--mommyof3girlies.  This will be hard to come up with things you all don't already know about me, but maybe you won't remember!
Tagged Rules:
1).The player starts with 8 random facts about herself.
2).The person who is tagged must post on her own blog her answers and post the rules first.
3).Then the player must pick 8 people and tag them.  Also leave them a note on Message that lets them know that you tagged them.  You can write who you tagged on your blog also!
8 ramdom facts about me:
1.  I have never tasted coffee.
2.  I married at age 20.
3.  My daughter is almost the same age as I was when she was born.
4.  I LOVE crablegs, and could eat them (and have) until I'm sick.  Fortunately for my body, I only have
       them once every 2 or 3 years.
5.  I have had high blood pressure, and been on medication for it, since I was 25. 
6.  I went to college for 2 years, and changed majors 3 times that I can remember.  I hated it.
7.  I loved to write in high school and college.  English Comp and Literature classes were my
       favorites.   There was nothing better than writing, crossing out, rewriting..... I always wished I could
       write something "important".
8.  I am allergic to bee stings.

Well, those were random.  Took me forever to come up with them, too. 
I tag anyone who wants to do it.
Time for bed.  Blessings and rest.
Letitia

No comments:

Post a Comment