Thursday, January 20, 2011

When I'm a Grandmother

I was over at my friend, Tammy's, blog (http://agarden4tam22.blogspot.com/), and she had a post about finding her grandmother's Bible, well worn and loved. It just about brought tears to my eyes. That's the kind of grandmother I want to be. Well, not the well worn part. : ) But, one that leaves a legacy of faith, hope, endurance, encouragement, and love. I want a well worn Bible to leave behind. I was thinking as I read her post how in this day and age, even those of us who read our Bible, never have a well worn one. As soon as it starts fraying a little, or we tire of the color, we go buy the newest, latest, prettiest edition. And, although, we can certainly leave a Godly heritage and still have new Bibles, to me there is just something appealing about leaving behind the well used, obviously treasured, Bible for my children and grandchildren. Not in a prideful way. To me, it's just that sign, symbol, of a life well lived for God. Something they can look back on, and remember all that we've taught them. Of course, what I've put into the children is the real sign, but something they can look at when the times get rough, and be encouraged that their futures have been covered in prayer.

I've never spent time praying for my future grandchildren. My time and mind in prayer always seems to be on current situations, and my children's future spouses and relationships with God. The more immediate future. In the last few weeks, though, as my first child (2nd in age order) gets very close to her wedding day (4 months now), I have found myself praying for my future grandchildren, and I hope to make that an intentional prayer from here on out.

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." (3 John 1:4)

I have every intention of being the FUN grandma!! haha. Seriously! I'm gonna be the grandma who gets in the floor and plays games....okay, with the back, we'll probably sit at the table....the one who makes cookies with sprinkles, the one who lets them get out playdough and shows them how to make some retarded looking creature, who takes them camping and to amusement parks. I want to leave that legacy, too, because I KNOW from my own children's experiences just how important THAT kind of love is, too. But, Lord, make me the grandma who prays, who helps instill your Word into them, who tells them stories of your faithfulness in my life~ a story that they love to hear!

5 comments:

  1. I have no idea why the font is different sizes, and don't know if I know how to edit it at this point! haha May have to wait on Ashley to get home from work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARe you expecting a grandchild?! I just got a new Bible this month because my old one is plumb worn out - too worn out to pass on! It is missing the front cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no! Not yet! Just thinking ahead and looking forward to those days. Briana is getting married in May, so those times are not too far into the future now.
    Good for you for wearing it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post...I often think of being a Grandma...and your heart is such a heart for God, I'm sure He will honor your desires...much love sister~~~Shine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was sitting with a friend, who's in her 70's, the other day, and she brought out her old, worn Bible. Just looking at it was so comforting, and I had this urge to reach out and run my hand over it.

    I know you will be an amazing, fun, encouraging grandma, and I just love that you're praying for your future grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete