Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Restful Week

First, I forgot to mention my thanks for all of the encouraging comments on my entry before last, and on the comments of how that entry encouraged some of you.  I really appreciate you guys. 
Also, several people asked for the link on how to make the paper snowflake from my last entry.   It's http://www.wikihow.com:80/Make-a-3D-Paper-Snowflake.  I asked James, and he said it was pretty straight forward directions, and he did it just like they said.  Let me know if anybody makes one. 
This has been a pretty restful week.  Last Sunday really wiped me out~nothing in particular; I just got up and went to church Sunday morning, but I felt really tired and run-down most of the week.  I started feeling better by Thursday.  Thankfully, there was nothing on the calendar for me this week, so it was a nice stay-at-home week.  I promised myself to stay home all week, but ended up going to get my haircut this afternoon. 
James has been out in our craft room at lot working on business, so Marissa has been taking her math book out there with him, curling up in a cozy little corner, and working her math out there with him, asking him questions if she needed help.  This has helped me a lot, because it frees me to concentrate on Daniella.  She tends to get her work skipped some days.  It doesn't concern me for a 6 year old to do that much "school work", but she loves it and is always begging me to "do school" with her.  She's dying to learn to read, so we've been able to spend a lot more time the last couple of weeks doing her Explode the Code book and reading some lists in Alpha Phonics.  She *loves* math.  We've done some hit and miss little workbooks all this year, but I started her in Level 2 of Developmental Math last week, and she loves it.  In fact, she's almost finished with it, so I had to quickly order level 3 yesterday. (I went ahead and ordered Level 4 while I was at it, but I don't know if she'll be ready for adding and sub. 10's yet~we'll see.)  She seems to have a real knack for math at this point.  She already understood the concept of addition and subtraction, and she is quickly memorizing facts, or being able to think them out in her head quickly.  Ashley and I watched her thinking and working the other day, and couldn't help laughing at her because she amazed us.  We've also been working on coins and time, and played Pumpkin Patch Math.  It's a little Bingo type game where you roll three die~ two have numbers, and the third has either an addition or subtraction sign. 
On Thursday I got out the Anagrams tiles (you could also use Scrabble tiles) and let them just spell words with them.  They had a ball.  Anagrams has lots of "A's", so Daniella was able to spell all the short a words she knew.  They've worked quite a few jigsaw puzzles this week, along with a couple of word searches.   Marissa is reading the Kaya books from American Girl, and James is reading to her from Children's Classics or other books at bedtime, while I read to Daniella.  We started reading Sarah Witcher's Story this week, too.   We continue to read (again) from The Child's Story Bible.  This time through, Marissa is able to think through and understand even more spiritual concepts and see how they relate to her life, even in the old testament stories.  We've also been working hard on AWANA verses.  Marissa's (T&T) has had her looking up more verses and answering questions this past few weeks, which I like.  (Not to mention that it gets her writing more.   She hates to write!)  I hope this week or next to start on Time Travelers~The American Revolution.  I've got to get my act together in the next few days and get things printed and gathered.  Marissa likes this era, and I really hope we're going to have a great time with this study.  I just noticed tonight that they have a Colonial study.  She would really like that. 
Wednesday night I had the house to myself, and I scrapbooked for the first time since early November, I guess.  That perked me up, and I had fun.  And, to make matters better, as far as I know at this point, Monday-Friday, I don't have anywhere to go either!!!!  Some weeks are just good!  : ) 
Letitia

No comments:

Post a Comment