Sunday, July 29, 2007

True Southerner

In light of my HICK post, I thought I should take this test.  It gauges how you say things, and tells you what areas of the country that pronunciation is common to.  It was pretty fun.  Now, I know you're all anxiously awaiting the results.....
 "87% Dixie.  Do you still use Confederate money?"
  A great shock, I know.   Several of my answers said, "common to the southeast".  Only two said really deep south!  Just for the record, for my family, Dixie, the confederacy, or being a "rebel" does not mean being supportive of slavery.  The name of the test really has nothing to do with the test and should be changed.
After my recent post about being a hick--and this really cracked me up-- "anonymous" advised me that I should "embrace my hickness".  Hmmm... what do you all think?   I for one, think I can be a real Southern Belle without being a hick/redneck as "anon" suggested would make me happier. 
(HA!  As I proofread this, I noticed in that last paragraph, I used the words "you all" instead of "y'all".  Maybe all of my northern blogger friends are converting me!!  Actually, I tend to talk much more southern than I write.  And, yes, I proofread my posts.  I told you I was a language freak.) 
Okay, while we are on the subject--the word Y'ALL.  Everyone spells it ya'll, and I used to, too.  But, correct me if I'm wrong, if y'all is short for you all, then wouldn't the apostrophe go between the 'y' and the 'a'?  Really, this is important to the southern grammar.  I feel it my duty to take it upon myself to teach my southern friends the proper use. 
I got a new avatar yesterday.  I've got to update my info, too.  On June 29th, we celebrated our 22nd anniversary.  We were out of town, so it passed without getting due mention here.  Be sure and read the post just before this one to meet some really neat bloggers.
Letitia

No comments:

Post a Comment