Monday, March 2, 2009

A Tour of the White House

Marissa and I have been enjoying a look at the White House~ a tour through some of it's rooms, the history of the White House itself, along with some interesting facts about Presidents, First Ladies, First families (and their pets), and their role and life at the White House. 
 
http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Guide-White-House-Washington/dp/0836221532/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236010242&sr=8-1
We were able to tour the White House in Sept. 2001, just a few days before 9-11, and we really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, now you must have a group of 10 or more to schedule a tour.  Marissa, my history buff, is dying to go to D.C., and I  hope that I can talk to our congressman's office to figure out some way to get her in one of those tours whenever we go.  I may have to start calling people to go with us on our trip! 
On another trip to D.C., we were able to see President and Laura Bush sitting on the south Portico with two other people.  We think it could have been the president of Mexico and his wife since they were visiting that week.  We also saw their dog, Barney, playing with a staff member on the lawn. 
The book is a fun, historical look inside if you've never been, if you are planning to go, or even if you've been already to see and read about places you saw.  And, it's an easy to understand guide for children. 
This is Ashley, Briana, Marissa, and me in front of the north portico in Sept. 2001.  The corner of the picture has paper and a star because I had to scan it out of my scrapbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment