Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sand Between My Toes

That's right!  In exactly 8 more days, Lord willing, I will be wiggling my toes in the white sandy Florida beach!  We are going to Panama City this time, which is where we have spent most of our beach vacations.  We have a Gulf front townhome in what is hopefully a quieter area.  I'm praying for no tropical storms, no jelly fish, sharks, stingrays, pets dying, car troubles......I'm covering it all.....ummm, mostly because we've experienced it all~except for the sharks.  I don't care for any new adventures either! 
   I grew up going to Panama City a lot on our family vacations, so it kind of feels like home to me, except they have torn down so many things and built so many high rises.  St. Andrews State Park will always feel like home to me.  I've spent many nights camping there as a child and an adult, and I absolutely love it there.  They tore down the Miracle Strip Amusement Park, which was another wonderful childhood memory.  (sniffle)  My older girls still have lots of good memories there, though, which is why we chose that spot again this year. 
   We don't have any particular plans this year.  Just sitting on the beach, going to Fun Land to get soft serve ice cream, and Alvins Island in the volcano (If any of you know what I'm talking about, you have to comment and tell me!)  It has been thrown out there to possibly rent a pontoon boat again and go out on the bay side to Shell Island.  I'm not convinced yet.  I grew up with my parents taking their ski boat out to the island (more great memories), but a few years ago we rented a pontoon boat and ended up getting caught in a horrible lightening storm.  Ski boats can take cover a lot faster than pontoon boats!  : ) 
  I'm really excited, though, and have tons to do this week, along with trying to pack.  Plus, my big girls are away being camp counselors this week, and I usually depend on them a bunch to help me pack. 
  Part of our busyness this week is that tomorrow (Monday) is James' birthday.
Happy Birthday sweet husband!
It will be different with Ashley and Briana not being here, and this will be the first time we've celebrated a birthday with some friends instead of just family.  James is remodeling the girls' bathroom (they all 4 share a tiny one) that has been in desperate need for.....well, as long as we've lived here....18 years  He's trying to get as much done as possible while the older 2 are gone.  He's already ripped out most of the drywall, closet shelves, mirror tiles, and flooring this past week.  The toilet is the only thing staying because it's only a few years old.  So, in the morning he is going to buy the things we haven't already gotten~drywall, the tub and cabinet.  We will do our little family gifts in the afternoon, then tomorrow evening we are meeting a family from church in the national park for a cookout at the river. 
   Marissa and I made an Oreo Ice Cream dessert for him for tomorrow.  It's a recipe a friend shared.  Hers was scrumptous.   Mine was messy.  But, surely it will taste good.  Maybe even I can't mess up ice cream, Cool Whip, and oreos!! 
Letitia

No comments:

Post a Comment