Monday, November 20, 2006

How Do You Pronounce My Name?

A few months ago, one of my friends here asked me how to pronounce my name.  Still it didn't occur to me that I should tell everyone else.  I'm not sure why.  You would think after spending my whole life being called everything you can imagine, I wouldn't just assume that my friends here would know what my name is.  So for the ones of you who have never heard of the famous etiquette expert, Letitia Baldridge, I'll clue you in.  I guess phonetically, it would be----
Luh-Tisha  (any of you that know me have any better pronunciations?)  Don't drag out the "uh" sound too much though.  I'm southern, but not *that* southern, regardless of what Jen thinks!  Just run it all together.  The "i" in the Tisha part is pronounced short "i" like in "igloo".  My whole life, one of my grandmother's pronounced that "i" like "ee"  --Luh-Teesha.  Don't like that one! 

Growing up, my family and friends called me Tish or Tisha.  My family still does.  I prefer Tisha of those two, and like that name fine.  Of course, there were the weird and annoying variations like Tishee.  A few guy friends in high school decided I was Mortisha (Adams Family) in order to tease me.  And now, if you ask Jen and Gena, they've decided I am Tia.  Good name, too, right Tia

The name Letitia comes from the Latin laetitia, which means "joy".

So there you have it.  Now my question is--what have YOU been calling me in your head all this time as you read my comments?! 

Letitia

No comments:

Post a Comment