Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Happy Birthday!

Today is my oldest daughter's 20th birthday.  Wow!  This one is one of those that seems like a big one.  She was born at 6:34 on a Saturday night, and weighed a whopping 6 lb. 7 oz.  The night before we spent secretly timing contractions between cheering at our local high school football game.  My parents sat next to us and never knew!  Contractions has started around 10:00 that morning.  We went to the ER at about 3:30 the next morning, but at about 7 they sent me back home--told me I was probably in false labor.  Later that evening around 5:30, we went back to the hospital with contractions just a few minutes apart.  (I was so little when I was pregnant with Ashley--partially hidden by my height--that they didn't believe me when I told them I was in labor.  They asked my due date, and when I told them last week, they got hopping.)  I had not been there long with the monitors in place before panic set in.  Alarms went off, nurses started running up and down the hallway, yelling to page the dr.  They flipped me on my side, put an oxygen mask on, and I had a nurse on each side of me racing to see who could get the drip in my rolling veins first.  We had no idea what was going on.  They began to explain to us that her heart rate was dropping dangerously low, then shooting back up.  She was in what I believe they called tri-cardiac arrest, possibly caused from the stress of trying to come for so long.  I had been having contractions for 32 hours, and was still only 3 cm.  Within minutes I was being prepped for an emergency C-section.  We know God's blessing has been on Ashley since the beginning.  This had actually happened earlier that morning when we had been at the hospital, and we asked about it.  An obviously untrained nurse told us it was just the baby moving around and away from the monitor.  Praise God that He protected Ashley throughout the day until we could get back.  She came out screaming and didn't stop for about an hour.  Her cries were the talk of the nursery and ob floor!  I guess she got it all out of her system, because she has been my quiet child ever since. 
She is such a joy and a blessing.  She has a beautiful, gentle, and quiet spirit.  Her heart for serving the Lord and others is an inspiration to me.  Please go by and wish Ashley a Happy Birthday!  Check out her "What I Love" section in her sidebar to get a glimpse of my beautiful daughter. 
By the way, if we look awfully young in these baby pictures, it's because I was only 15 months older than Ashley is now!!  That's scary.

This is after 5 days in the hospital, and we're going home.










First ballet recital-4 years old

Senior ballet

      Happy Birthday Ashley



No comments:

Post a Comment