Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Our Thanksgiving Centerpiece

This creatively challenged Mom was able to "steal" and combine a couple of ideas from others for a fun centerpiece.  Fun, because my girls had a blast creating it.  Unfortunately, I don't do big crafty things like this with them very much.  I hope this has gotten me out of my rut. 
While searching online last week, I found the idea to carve out the inside of mini pumpkins and put in a tea light.  Then yesterday, I saw that Angela and her children had waxed leaves.  They put theirs with pinecones (which I don't have here at my mountain home), and they were so pretty.  I did a google search to find out how to wax leaves.  So, yesterday afternoon we took a walk up our little road and collected leaves.  Most of them are past peak, but we still found some pretty ones.  We put them under some heavy books, then carved out our pumpkins and let them dry overnight.  Today we had a ball waxing the leaves, and here is our Thanksgiving centerpiece. 

The dark table makes it look a little dark, so the reds don't show up as well, but it's really pretty, especially when the candles are lit.  We put the leaves on a tray to keep them from  scattering and so it can be moved easily if needed. 
Here are a few photos of the process. 
Walking down our quiet little road.

Collecting leaves


Cleaning out pumpkins

Waxing the leaves (Marissa had just gotten out of the bath.  That's why her hair is wet!) 


Making the arrangement

The finished product

     Happy Thanksgiving
"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, For His lovingkindness is everlasting."  Psalm 107:1

No comments:

Post a Comment